First Time Making Soap!!

Photobucket

So after reading about making soap on a few different sites, finally decided to give it a whirl. All as part of my 'buy as little as possible/make as much as I can' mission. Here we go!

I used the the soap calculator found here to get the correct amount of fat/water/lye. It's a pretty touchy recipe so you need to use the calculator to get the quantities right. Lye is soap language for caustic soda. You get it at the supermarket near the Draino.

I wanted to use Olive Oil and Rice Bran Oil, because these are what I had and I read that they were great for the skin. Honey and milk were also other things I wanted to use. This is the recipe I tweaked around with on the calculator.

Ellice's Milk, Honey & Oat Soap (no it's not edible!)

800g Olive Oil
200g Rice Bran Oil
430g Milk
128g Caustic Soda
4 tbs Honey
3 handfuls Quick Cooking Oats

First you have to semi-freeze the milk because when you put the lye in, it heats up and can boil if its not already really cold. Once it looks like a milk slushy, you carefully, slowly pour in the lye granules. Stir it up until it dissolves. It will heat up, most likely curdle and look like this:

Photobucket

Measure out the oils into a large saucepan and pour in the lye/milk mix. Hit it with a stick blender until it reaches trace. (Trace is when it thickens up and looks like custard).

At this point you can add colourings, fragrances and textures. So stir in the honey and oats until its all combined. Now you can pour it into the moulds. I used a plastic tray and some old shallow muffin trays that I don't use anymore. And this is what it looks like now:

Photobucket

After 2 days I can unmould it and cut it up into pieces. Then it has to cure for a month at least so it hardens up fully. No idea how I can wait that long!! I'll post pics of the final product I promise!

-------------------------------------------------------

OK, here we are after 2 days, and the soap has come out of the mould. It all came out in one go, and I cut it up with a sharp knife. The square ones from the tray look really interesting I think, and the little round ones from the muffin tray are cute as! The round ones have dried out alot quicker so look paler.

Photobucket

Photobucket

(top image courtesy of dkimages.com)

Warning: When mixing the lye it gives off really nasty fumes. Wear gloves and long clothing as a minimum. Treat it as you would oven cleaner. Keep the area well ventilated or mix it outside. If you get it on your skin, wash and wash and wash with cold water. Vinegar is also recommended.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi ellice, thank you for this wonderful post. ive always been interested in stuff like this but never had the patience, motivation or time to look into it further. however your blog was so straight foward and easy to understand that in the future when life becomes simpler, i will put your wise words to use and see how i go. keep up the good work...ps hippies rock. there should be more of them

Anonymous said...

wow thats amazing. thanks for the tip!!! you should write a book or something. have you made anything else? WB xx Mary

Anonymous said...

hey does anyone know if lye is toxic for a baby? i have a 9 month old and im looking for a new hobby to do while shes at home. my email is c&b_lunley12@aapt.net.au. thanks

wannabeafoody said...

Christie, lye itself is toxic. But when the soap is cured, there is no lye left in the soap at all. The lye and fat cancel each other out and the end product is pure glycerin soap. Thats why it's important to use the soap calculator and to measure accurately.

Anonymous said...

Great info! I will add the sard soap when I make my next batch of washing power. Haven't made soap yet, but you've inspired me to maybe start thinking about it....

Thank you and well done!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ellice

Just dropped in for a visit. Looks good!

E

Anonymous said...

I have just put my first batch in the moulds. Thanks so much for this tute! It already looks totally yummy. Cant wait till i can get it out to cut it up.

Tiaa

Post a Comment